artbyjlp@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"My Brightest Idea" - 36"x48"x1.5" - Acrylicy on Canvas - $525.00 SOLD


This is my fourth and final installment of the "Bright Idea" series.  Acrylic on canvas and measuring 36" x 48", this piece represents my struggle to break free of convention and capture that which truly inspires me, or most accurately identifies who I am as an artist.  The irony is that I am a Gemini and as such it is nearly impossible to hang a single label on my work.  (Look back at "Green With Envy" to see what I mean.)  I know that most artists develop a "style" and with that it becomes easy to identify their work visually.  It seems that we the viewer find a certain comfort in that ability.  I am just not sure that is the type of artist I want to be however.  More accurately, even if that is what I wanted I am not sure I have the patience or ability to settle into that mold.

The face in this painting is the artist.  He has two eyes but several more eyes scurry about near the bottom of the painting looking and searching for that next bit of inspiration.  Hoping again for that moment of discovery when the light bulb (represented as the bright idea) shines forth and illuminates my way to create something truly inspirational.  The large eye at the top should not be overlooked for it represents everyone around me (and God) who watches what I am doing and what I am creating.  Even though I try constantly to be true to myself it is very difficult at times not to conform to the expectation of others.  I am holding my own so far...  Otherwise all of my paintings would be topped with a layer of glitter just to make my wife happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment