artbyjlp@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Elemental Nobility



This is a 24" x 79" acrylic, painted on a refurbished hollow core door.  I am really enjoying painting on these door panels.  They are light weight, easy to hang, very durable, inexpensive and do not need to be framed.  In addition they are repurposed and that makes me smile.  Everthing and everyone deserves a second chance!

Once again I have tried to blend art and science into something meaningful.  There are six noble gasses and they are all, for the most part, inert and non-reactive.  I like to think this infers that they "play well with others".  In addition to showing the gasses floating lightly in the atmosphere I have included two physics equations.  The first on the left is the terminal velocity equation for objects in free fall.  There have been many times in my life when I have felt like I was "free falling" and it is comforting to know that even in these frightening moments, our life is ordered and has purpose.  The second equation is that of gravitational attraction between two objects and it is meant to be allegorical of the attraction between two people.  I am afraid however, that the equation for this human connection would be much more complex!

No comments:

Post a Comment