artbyjlp@gmail.com

Monday, February 21, 2011

"Eviction Notice" 24"x79"x1.5" - Acrylic on hollow core door panel - $525.00 SOLD













 

This piece is the beginning of a new series of paintings that will be painted on re-purposed hollow core door panels.  We are fortunate to have a Habitat for Humanity here in Springfield and I am able to purchase these used doors for a very reasonable price and at the same time stay the course in my efforts to create "green" artworks.  Going green isn't about "saving the planet" for me.  I believe the earth has and will continue to protect itself from all influences be they natural or human.  I am a big believer however, in not being wasteful, which I am sure can be traced back to the influence my mother had on me as I was growing up.  She herself grew up in the depression years and the impact of those years never left her.  


Eviction Notice is a 24" x 79" acrylic piece that started out as a very small ballpoint pen doodle on a piece of scrap paper.  I created a mirror image of the drawing and blew it up to fit on the large door panel.  As I began to paint the figures in the foreground I noticed that in creating the mirror image I also created a new form in the center that I wasn't expecting.  To me, it appeared as a frontal view of a serpent's head complete with fangs.  With that in mind, the other two figures quickly evolved into representations of Adam and Eve in the Garden.  As the story goes, the serpent appeared and beguiled Eve who then disobeyed God.  Adam followed suit and they were soon "evicted" from their paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment