artbyjlp@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fade To Black (40 x 60 acrylic diptych on hollow core door panels)


This painting is what the late Bob Ross might call a "happy accident".  It started again, with two panels and a black squeeze bottle.  I didn't like the composition so I decided to try and scrub away the black lines with a large grouting sponge.  This created a semi black (and white) mess resembling a Franz Kline painting.  I liked it.  In fact I almost left it black and white but then decided to try adding some color.  To do this I used an old dish washing sponge.  You know the small yellow one with a green scrubby side...  This method started creating very thin layers of color which I added to over and over until it looked finished.  Then I brought the black sqeeze bottle out to finish it.  It is very different and one of the things I like about it is that I get to use the word Gestalt to describe it.  Thinking of this expressive word led me to the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment