artbyjlp@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"...And Then Chiquita Bananas Hat Just Exploded!..."

I really don't know what is up with these titles lately.  Do you remember that old commercial and the song??  I always wondered what it might look like if her hat had an accident during filming.  I could go on and on regarding social commentary and advertising but for the sake of space just let is be known that this painting is meant to be satirical and whimsical.  As you will see from the next few paintings, I have discovered squeeze bottles.  I just love these things as they allow me to create outlines in a very fluid and organic method.  This is also my very first Diptych, or two panel painting and it is acrylic on hollow core door panels measuring 40 x 60 inches in total .  I think the white outlines, along with the bold colors, really help this painting to "pop".  I had a blast painting it and it started with using a black squeeze bottle to create an automatic drawing on the panels which then evolved as the painting went along.

No comments:

Post a Comment