artbyjlp@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Solar Storm (20 x 30 acrylic on canvas)


This painting was inspired by the Mayan Prophecy of doom for 12/2012 as well as the Bad Company song Burnin' Sky.  (I told you the 70's influenced me!!)  I was asked to paint this very quickly and as a demonstration of my techniques during the July first Friday artwalk outside of Randy Bacon Studio's and Figment gallery.  It was very hot and I had some serious competition as the painting cockroaches from the zoo were working just across from me. (really??) 

Since I was rushed I was using liquid acrylics, a credit card, squeeze bottles and paint squeezed straight from the tube onto the painting.  It was what you might call an observed exercise in automatic drawing, but with an idea hanging out in the back of my mind.??  I see a large citi-scape relected on water with the Burnin' Sky evidencing the fulfillment of both Mayan and Biblical prophecies as the sun reeks havoc on the earth and its inhabitants

No comments:

Post a Comment